Leonardo Drew: Art & Investigation
- How do artists and other professionals learn about new ideas, processes, and strategies? What kinds of approaches do they take to build on their own experiences and inquire about things they do not know?
- When do exploration and experimentation become art?
- How does Drew perform "investigations"? What do his investigations look like?
- How do the materials used to make sculpture influence the meaning of the work? For example, what do we associate with materials such as wood and cotton?
- In what ways do artists work with restrictions and rules? How might restrictions or rules help you to form ideas? How does Leonardo Drew work with self-imposed restrictions? How have they influenced his process and artwork?
- Choose two materials (other than those materials featured in this video) that have symbolic associations. Create a sketch or plan in your sketchbook (no bigger than 5” X 5”) for an artwork YOU could make, using one or both materials to convey an idea or story.